Thursday, July 14, 2011

Why you should, or shouldn't, become a Big Brother or Big Sister

Back in the January time frame I went on a few dates with a guy. He was nice, but it really didn't click.

What did click was that he inspired me to finally take that last step and apply to be a Big Sister. I had been thinking about it for a while, and his positive account of being a Big Brother encouraged me to apply.



For those of you who don't know what the Big Brothers Big Sisters program is (from there website):

Being a Big Brother or Big Sister is one of the most enjoyable things you’ll ever do. Not to mention, one of the most fulfilling. You have the opportunity to help shape a child’s future for the better by empowering him or her to achieve. 
Volunteering just a few hours a month with a child can start something amazing. 



There are 21,000 boys ready and waiting to be matched with Big Brothers across the country right now ... that's double the number of girls waiting for a Big Sister. You can also make a donation to help fund the careful one-to-one matching and ongoing professional mentoring support unique to Big Brothers Big Sisters. 

In May of this year I was matched with an adorable, smart, 8-year-old girl named Payge. She lives with her 
mom, grandma 'nanna', and her great grandma 'gramma'. 

Becoming a 'Big' was one of the best decisions I've ever made, but I'm not going to paint it as being all daisies and roses. I meet with her three to four days a month, and she always begs for more. While three to four days might not sound like a lot, its more than one would think. I feel guilty that she craves more attention than I can give her. She has eight times the energy I do and we have issues when its 'time to go'. 

But I wouldn't change it for anything, and I would highly encourage anyone with the desire and the time to go for it. I am a big believer in volunteering your time... donating money is great, but what the world really needs is our time. 
When you sign on to be a 'Big', you sign up for a two year commitment to a child, meeting three to four times a month. I am incredibly excited to be there with Payge as she discovers this wonderful and crazy thing we call life.
What is it that you do to volunteer and give back? Any recommendations for organizations out there?
If you have any questions about the BBBS program, please feel free to contact me! 

2 comments:

Heather Sunseri said...

Hi, Kelley. I love your bio!! I can so relate to being "confused and frustrated about which interests to pursue when." I'm a CPA by degree and profession, a missionary at heart, and an aspiring novelist and travel writer, yet I don't travel quite enough to call myself a "travel writer." Go figure. Anway, it is so nice to meet you! I'm so thrilled that you stopped by my blog.

Kelley said...

Thanks Heather! I read yours to and immediately knew I had to follow it. Once you figure out how to 'do it all' I'll follow your lead ;)

Its wonderful to meet you too!

Like what you see? Then type in your email and follow me!